Monday, November 24, 2008

Christ the King Sunday - November 23, 2008

Christ the King Sunday
November 23, 2008


Kingly Economics

Economics: a social science concerned chiefly with description and analysis of the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services.

Production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services? Here Jesus stands with the words,

“When I was hungry you gave me food, when I was thristy you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.”

In light of current events even in our own backyard how is Jesus calling us to be about the production, distribution, and aiding in the fair consumption of goods and services?

“For when you have done it to the least of these who are members of my family you have done it to me.”

In Postville where so many are hungry, homeless, and in fear for what may be the future. For those in our own congregation who are struggling with heating their homes or finding the resources to feed their children. The challenge of this text comes when we hear how Christ is calling us to be a part of the production and distribution of goods and services.

Another text in the new testament highlights this as well. When we think of the church and the body of Christ God gives us a pure glimpse of what that looks like:

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 Awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. 44 All who believed were together and had all things in common; 45 they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds F17 to all, as any had need. 46 Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home F18 and ate their food with glad and generous F19 hearts, 47 praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.

Applying the Text

(1) See how God provides daily for our needs.

“I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them; he shall feed them and be their shepherd. And I, the LORD God will be their God...”

To the one who is hungry, thirsty, naked, sick, stranger, in prison it takes faith to believe in a God who provides for the needs of His children.

(2) See how God is calling us to be a church without walls.

“And when was it that we did these things?”

“With the eyes of your heart enlightened” we are given the power of God to be about the work of ministry in this area and beyond, feeding the hungry with not just food but spiritual food!

(3) See how God will call us to be accountable on the day of salvation.

“When was it?”

We are called to be about the production, distribution, and fair consumption of goods and services. As a church in this place called Waterville we are to be a beacon of hope, a place of refuge, and destination where grace is found.

No comments: